Writing is a learning process, and certainly can't be learnt overnight, it takes time, and research, over a lifetime. Which means you never stop learning.
The internet is the biggest resource today, for anything and everything, it would take you a more than lifetime to sift through every single writing related blog and resource.
I've made things simple for you, and brought together some of my favourite writing blogs:
One of the foremost voices in the publishing community, Jane Friedman has over 20 years experience in the publishing industry. Formerly employed by Writer's Digest, she really knows what she's talking about, sharing her vast knowledge and know-how on her website. Her website is full of really useful and informative information which is directed towards writers and those aspiring to be so. A great place for any novice writer to start is Jane's vast archive which contains a wealth of information on everything from book publishing, to self-publishing, writing inspiration, marketing and so much more.
- The Only Way to Know If You'll Be a Successful Writer
- Start Here: How to Get Your Book Published
- The Secret to Finding the Time to Write, Market, Promote, and Still Have a Life
A writing coach, published author and professional speaker, Ann Kroeker will help any writer with their goals and give them the tools to develop their own writing voice. With a diverse range of articles, and an abundance of material to help keep any writer motivated. You can also listen to Ann's regular podcasts as a Writing Coach, which are available on Apple Podcasts and iTunes, if you like the idea of learning on the move. Using her 25 years as a freelance writer to guide you on your writing journey.
Anything you want to know about book design, you'll find it at The Book Designer website. Joel Friedlander has a background in both book design, graphic design and advertising and brings you over 700 articles written in easy to understand language, which will direct you on your path as an author.
- What Are the Types of Editing?
- Understanding Book Layouts and Page Margins
- Self-Publishing Case Study: Nonfiction
The Write Life offers a portal where writers can engage with each other, earn extra profit, and take their first steps into the world of writing. This includes many successful writing contributors which include editors and freelancers who have successfully worked in the writing industry, earning bylines at big name publications, including news outlets. Releasing popular self-published books, and landing contracts. Inspiration for any writer.
- A Complete to Understanding, Obtaining, and Using an ISBN for Your Book
- How to Write a Synopsis for Your Book: A Guide for Fiction and Nonfiction Writers
- Author Platform: Here's What All the Fuss Is About
New York Times bestselling independent author Joanna Penn is a good place to start. She shares her experiences and insights along with her numerous non-fiction works. Offering both written content and regular podcasts, and a window into the world of independent publishing, overflowing with practical writing tips and tricks to improve your own writing.
- How to Find the Time to Write and Make the Most of Your Writing Time
- Patience, Ambition, and Financial Independence
- You Are a Writer. You Create and License Intellectual Property Assets