1. Record thoughts for new stories and topics
Ideas can spring to mind at the strangest times and places during the day. Even when you're sleeping at night, or going for the weekly shop, your brain is constantly on alert and thinking about the next writing project. Not writing down those thoughts can be fatal, by carrying around a notebook you can scribble down your random thoughts to develop later.
2. To write down interesting events that happen during the day
If you're a fictional writer, you can draw on simple events that might happen during the day. Such as a child's reaction to a birthday present, an accident by the side of the road, or your washing machine breaking down. After these events have occurred write down something that will help you remember the event later on.
3. Make notes about people you see in every day life
Writing character descriptions is extremely useful for anyone writing fiction. People watching is one way of doing this. Sitting down in a restaurant, cafe or just watching the world go by. Make notes about the people that stand-out to you the most. How they're dressed, hold themselves etc. Start creating your characters and building stories around the people you see every day.
4. Write down inspirational quotes
Quotes can be used in a variety of different ways, they can also highlight a point you might be making, and are really useful for inspiration.
5. To document helpful information
Notebooks can be used in so many different ways:
- Writing down new resources you've come across
- Setting personal goals
- Promoting your books or website
- Planning your writing for the week
- Creating new characters and plotlines
Share this post with your friends!