Social media plays a key part in connecting with not only your readers but also other writers, and the writing community as a whole. Knowing what to post and when to post can be a daily battle. Sharing your own social media content can be a very frustrating process, especially when you're not seeing any fruit from your labour.
We're going to look at a list of ideas and tips that will help you promote not only your books, but also your blog on social media.
It's important to remember the following when posting on social media:
- Make all of your posts relevant.
- Social media is all about conversation.
- Don't forget the 80/20 rule (80% are informational and from other authors or writers, 20% is promotional, and your posts).
- Always include hashtags.
- It takes time to build your author/writing platform, and things usually don't happen overnight, so think long term.
Social Media Post Ideas for Writers
- Invite your readers to follow you on other social media platforms.
- Ask people to sign up for your newsletter.
- Quote some of your favourite authors and writers.
- Regularly post links from your blog.
- Recommend your favourite writer or author to your followers.
- Ask your reader's for book recommendations.
- Tell your readers about your favourite writers.
- Post questions for your reader's.
- Tell your followers about the books you're reading.
- Comment on good blog posts you've read and leave a link in your description.
- Tell your readers about any breaking news in the publishing market.
Post Links About Your Own Books
- Add links to all of your books especially when they are free or at a promotional price.
- Post a video for your latest book trailer.
- Tell your reader's when your next book is out for release.
- Include excerpts and quotes from your books in social media posts.
- Tell your reader's about where your book is set, and if the location is local to you.
- Include all good book reviews and book testimonials in your posts.
- Tell your readers about your character's goals, motivation etc.
- Tell your reader's about the latest book you're working on.
- Share fans' photos or art.
- Make games for your fans, encourage them to interact by creating a scavenger hunt, guessing games, trivia etc.
- Answer your reader's frequently asked questions.
Remind People You're a Freelance Writer
- Let people see your latest published article.
- Question people about big issues, your love hate relationship with certain products and services.
Other Stuff to Post
- Tell you're fans when you're taking a break from social media or a holiday.
- Give your reader's a window into your personal life.
- Post pictures of your pets.
- Do a Q & A session.