2017/10/04

The Really Quick Guide to Social Media


I've been wanting to write about social media for quite a while no, so I've put together some quick tips to help you get to grips with your social networks and how to utilise them more efficiently.



Don't Schmooze on Twitter

Something I've learned over time on Twitter is not to sell, sell, sell.  It's an easy trap to fall into and easy to do, because everyone else is doing it.  But it won't help your profile or the products you're trying to sell.

Three Ways to Connect to Other People on Twitter

Always use the 80/20 Rule

That simply means you should be retweeting 80% of other peoples content, website and blogs.  The other 20% is your own self-promotion.

My routine is posting four of my own links and retweeting about twenty to twenty five from my Twitter followers.

Start with one social media platform

If you're unsure which platform to use, start with Twitter.  Try it and see if its a good fit for your business or blog.

I went down the route of Twitter and Facebook, discovered that Facebook wasn't the platform I needed and put more energy into Twitter.

Make sure whichever platform you choose, to direct your followers to your blog, business landing page or squeeze page.  If you have a newsletter even better.

Facebook has grown up

Facebook isn't just about getting in touch with old friends, it also allows you to set up your own author, organisation or business page.

You can keep your readers up-to-date with your current events happening with your blog or business.

So:
  • Only use Facebook if you're going to keep your page up-to-date.
  • Facebook isn't Twitter.
  • Ask other people to promote you every once in a while.

Discover which platform suits you

I use Twitter and Google+ to promote my content.  Over the years I've had Pinterest and Facebook pages, but I could never get used to those platforms for self-promotion.

Social media is all about quality and timing, try using the helpful route instead of the "I'm an expert in my fieild".  There are too many experts on social media.

Read more: How to Start a Blogger Blog and Make MoneyThe Simple and Quick Guide to Starting Your Own WebsiteBlogger Basics.

Comment